Monday, July 18, 2011

For Ainsley on her 5th Birthday

My Dearest Ainsley,

I know I'm a little late in getting this letter written.  Things have been like a whirlwind around here since your birthday and I haven't had the opportunity to sit down and really focus on anything.  But this morning, I have some time and a cup of tea!  I noticed that last year I wrote about your birthday, but didn't sit down and write you a letter and now that you are the BIG 5, I better make sure I start this tradition again!

I can hardly believe that you are now 5!  That's HUGE!  You are absolutely, positively NOT a baby anymore.  You are a bonafide BIG GIRL!  You can pick out your own clothes and dress yourself, brush your own teeth, ride a scooter and a big wheel and play almost any video game on the planet!  In fact, you know how to use the iPad better than I do!  You are such a good helper these days.  I wouldn't know what to do if I didn't have you to help sort laundry and put dishes away!  We make a pretty good team!

You are such a beauty with your big, blue eyes and your freckled nose, and you are wickedly smart and funny.  You captivate people with your smile and your attitude.  Your Ainsley-isms keep your Dad and I, not to mention our entire network of friends and family, in stitches ALL the time.  You just see the world in a completely different light and it's refreshing and entertaining beyond belief!  I hope you never lose that!  You are such a creative little thing with a passion to succeed and for everything to be perfect.  In that respect, things sometimes frustrate you in a way that I don't understand and I apologize for that, but at the same time, I hope at some point you will learn to cut yourself a little bit of slack.  There is a time for perfection and a time to just appreciate the world as is, knowing that perfection is in the eye of the beholder.

We have had a bit of a rough time this year.  You are growing and learning and figuring out where you fit in this big ol' world and sometimes it's really hard for you and me both.  But no matter how hard things get, I will always be here, I will always pick you up when you fall, I will always hold your hand when you're scared and I will ALWAYS, ALWAYS love you!  So here is to the Big 5!  I have every confidence that this is going to be an amazing year for you!  After all, since your birthday a couple of weeks ago, you have gone from swimming with water wings and life jackets to holding your breath and swimming under water with NO assistance AND you've read 5 little books on your own!  Your Daddy and I couldn't be more proud of you!  I can just tell there are so many big things to come this year and I can't wait to experience them with you!!!  So Happy Birthday to my sweet, amazing, little Piggy!

Love,
Mommy

No comments: