Monday, September 13, 2010

Another Outing on Lake Travis!

OK, what can I say? We're addicted to the boat!! It just seems like such a shame for the boat to sit dry-docked all the way through the weekend. I mean really, the boat was made for water and it gets sad when it can't zip through the waves, right?!?! And we certainly don't want to be the reason for the boat's unhappiness! So we called the docks, asked them to get it ready and when we arrived the boat was sitting in its spot, ready to go and it was happy. And so were we!

Ainsley practically owns the place now. She marches down the ramp, waves at the guys that work there and yells back at us to hurry up because the boat is waiting! Since there was no big rush to get out of the harbor yesterday, as we were the ONLY boat docked, I went ahead and sunscreened everyone and took the time to get things situated which was nice. We started motoring out of the harbor and looked out onto the lake to see glassy, smooth water and hardly another soul in sight! There was, however, a lot of debris. Hurricane Hermine definitely stirred things up a bit. But all in all, it was lovely. We started cruising over to our favorite part of the lake when Brady stopped the boat, got up and said, "Drive Woman!" He had mentioned that my first tutorial would happen today, but I had kind of hoped he was kidding! Boats are completely Greek to me, I have motion sickness and have rarely spent time on boats of any kind, much less ever driven one! And what unnerves me the most is, when driving a boat, the surface upon which you're driving is SOOOO unpredictable! It is a far cry from a nice solid road and 4 wheels!! But I sucked it up, I put it in drive and off we went... SLOWLY! I can tell you, Speed Demon is not a nickname I care to have! I was nervous as all hell, but I did pretty well, that is until we came close to a whole bunch of buoys. These buoys were just all over the place and I was completely confused as to which direction I should be going in order to get around them! So I pulled back quick and we watched some other boats and finally figured out that this was where an island had been last week!!! It seems the water rose significantly with Hermine's deluge. Once we figured it out, I was able to get around with no problem, but I definitely have some things to learn about buoys and their placement and how to maneuver around them. Oh well. I drove the boat! And nobody died!
Brady took the wheel and found us an excellent little cove for a much needed dip! We finally managed to get the anchor to work pretty well so we were ALL able to enjoy a swim.
The kids were able to swim to land where they spent at least an hour skipping rocks (well throwing rocks in Ainsley's case). Sadly, exactly 3 minutes after I told Ian to be careful and not hit his sister in the head with a rock, he cracked her in the head with a big ass rock! Brady and I heard the "THOCK" from way out in the water. Daddy, being the better swimmer made it to shore first to assess the damages. Luckily, there was no blood and no major damage, just a really sad, little girl who likely ended up with a headache later! :(

After hanging out in our little cove for quite awhile, we decided to cruise the lake for a little bit.
But it didn't take long for us to lose the Piggy!
So Daddy motored us back to the harbor.

We were tired but happy. And of course, the boat was happy too, so it was a win/win kind of day!

No comments: