Monday, January 28, 2008

My baby's turning 6

OK, I can hardly believe that Ian will be turning 6 in 3 days! Where did all the time go? I know it is so cliche, but it really does seem like just yesterday he was toddling around and learning how to talk! It just goes too fast! And although in many ways it breaks my heart to see him growing and getting bigger, I am SO proud of the little boy he has become! He is a wonderful sensitive soul with a flare for goofiness and annoying noises. He loves his baby sister and holds a special place in his heart for all of earth's little creatures. He told me last week, just out of the blue, how much he loves it when his baby sister smiles at him! He is full of curiosity yet he has a healthy respect for self-preservation! A daredevil he is NOT. He loves the computer, listening to music and dancing, playing board games, and running around casting spells as Harry Potter or saving the world as Spiderman, and on occasion he feels the need to rule the universe as Darth Vader. He wears out socks and the knees of his pants with the best of them (I replace socks constantly)! If given the choice he would wear sweatpants and t-shirts every day of his life. His favorite movies include all the Harry Potter's, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Star Wars, and Cars. His favorite books include all the Jan Brett books (The Mitten, The Hat, Honey, Honey Lion, etc...) and he adores Going on a Bear Hunt. He did have beautiful, long, curly hair, but got sick of being hassled over it and now sports a very becoming short hair cut that makes his eyes stand out more. I am beginning to wonder if his eyes are going to become green like mine, they are no longer the bright blue that they were when he was smaller. He is always eager to help, and he is more than happy to spend time amusing Ainsley if I need him too. He helps me go shopping and bring in groceries, he sets the table and starts the dishwasher. He loves to help me sort laundry and adores helping me cook (especially if it entails decorating pizzas or cupcakes). I couldn't ask for a better companion!

But here is the fact of the matter... he is without a doubt, one of the greatest loves of my life. He inspires me to be a better person. He is the reason I possibly make myself crazy on occasion because I want so badly for him to remember when he's grown that his mommy took the time to make the cookies, to read the stories, to sing the lullabies, to sew the Halloween costumes, and to throw the ridiculous parties! And don't get me wrong, it's not that I want him to remember the sacrifices I've made, I just want him to look back and know that he was loved with every fiber of my being! And I do my best, EVERY single day to not just tell him, but show him how much he means to me. I could have never asked for a greater gift in my life! And although watching him grow older and henceforth grow more independent cuts me deep in my soul, I will cherish every single moment I have with him until the day I die, for he is my son, my love and my life. I love you Ian.

No comments: