Extra, Extra! Budding 5 year-old entomologist is at it again! We went to the park today to meet up with our new messy art and science co-op and while there, the kids discovered a HUGE green caterpillar. It looks alot like a big, green tomato worm, which to be honest, icks me out a little! But anyway, after diligent research on the "What's that bug?" site, I am pretty sure I have a Polyphemus Moth Caterpillar (please feel free to google "Polyphemus Moth" for photos of what it might turn into). If this is the case, this will be a BIG, GORGEOUS saturniid moth! It could potentially be as big as my hand! So we have hit the jackpot--bugwise! I once again broke out the butterfly habitat, cut off some maple leaves (which it happens that these caterpillars like maple) and I hung the basket outside in the maple, as air conditioning is too cold and reduces the humidity too much for a healthy caterpillar and pupae. We will keep you posted on the progress! We're so excited!
Always on the go and always up to something!
Wednesday, May 30, 2007
"Greenie the Caterpillar"
Extra, Extra! Budding 5 year-old entomologist is at it again! We went to the park today to meet up with our new messy art and science co-op and while there, the kids discovered a HUGE green caterpillar. It looks alot like a big, green tomato worm, which to be honest, icks me out a little! But anyway, after diligent research on the "What's that bug?" site, I am pretty sure I have a Polyphemus Moth Caterpillar (please feel free to google "Polyphemus Moth" for photos of what it might turn into). If this is the case, this will be a BIG, GORGEOUS saturniid moth! It could potentially be as big as my hand! So we have hit the jackpot--bugwise! I once again broke out the butterfly habitat, cut off some maple leaves (which it happens that these caterpillars like maple) and I hung the basket outside in the maple, as air conditioning is too cold and reduces the humidity too much for a healthy caterpillar and pupae. We will keep you posted on the progress! We're so excited!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment