Thursday, May 21, 2009

Makin' the big bucks!



Ian has recently been bugging about getting an allowance. He wants to be able to buy Bionicles, as if he doesn't have 1000 already! Anyway, I admire his drive and wanted to work something out. Brady and I both agreed that whatever the chore was, it was something that would help the family as a whole, but mostly help me out. A long list of chores was put out there, but only one really stuck... poop scoopin'! At first Ian thought this was a pretty crappy idea, pardon the pun, but when I told him I would buy him a shovel and rake that were his size AND I pay him $5 a week he had a change of heart. We determined that in order to get this service from an outside source, it would cost $8-12 a week, so I figured half of what a service would cost was fair as he isn't having to drive to my home twice a week. He has been at it for a little over a month now and has bought 2 new Bionicles. I have been really proud that he actually saves his money. He tucks it away until he has enough to buy what he really wants instead of spending his $5 weekly on junk. I think this is a big step for my big boy and I'm very impressed with his work ethic and his money saving skills! In a year or so, I will allow him to do other chores to earn extra money, then we will talk about putting a certain amount into savings each week. But for now, it's his to do as he pleases and we're proud of him!

No comments: